Friday, May 20, 2011

XTreme Gardening

So, some of you may know my mom. For those of you who don't, I will make a basic introduction - my mom is an awesome gardener. I'm pretty sure she could plant a stick and come back later to find a tree. There's a lot of garden acreage at my parents' place, and she fills it all with colourful plants and shrubs and ... well, stuff.

As a youth, I was not impressed by gardens, aside from a kind of "one day, when I am rich, my house will have fabulous gardens and maybe a pond with a bridge" ramblings (because I was going to be rich, boy howdy). I disliked being asked to help rake leaves or do anything in the backyard. Or practically anywhere else outside. I am registered as a brown thumb in two countries (possibly more if Japan and Canada share their lists with other countries) - since I got cats, I haven't been able to keep a plant alive for more than three months*.

The house I'm in has a huge backyard, full of rogue raspberry bushes...and a lot of weeds and overgrowth. I don't think the previous tennants did anything in the yard. And my backyard has a kickass** greenhouse. I moved in too late last year to take advantage of it, and I have been determined to change that this year.

Today, my neighbour Bonnie and I spent a good 5 hours in there, cleaning out the beds (which had spent at least a year growing weeds, grass, and baby willow trees), mushing in fertilizer, and planting seeds and plants. If all goes according to plan, I may get to turn in my Brown Thumb card at the end of the season.

Photo updates to follow - right now, I'm too tired.



*Not counting the umbrella plant Bonnie gave me last September - the cats chew on it so much, I'm certain it is looking for death.

**By kickass, I mean it is well constructed, really long, and feels kind of like stepping into a hydroponics lab on a space station ^_^

2 comments:

  1. ahahah This post was awesome! And I really love the labels you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't often get to use the "wilderness woman" tag ^_^

    ReplyDelete