Monday, August 8, 2011

Back

I took a mini-vacation last week.

It was my birthday on Thursday (there is a post I started about birthdays, but I never finished it, and feel the moment is gone), and I knew that my boss and my coworker would both be starting their vacations this week. My other coworker will be on vacation in October and November. I'm not planning a trip to Ontario this Christmas, so if I wanted to take any time, last week was the best.

Three days off, plus the weekend, meant five glorious days of hanging out in the Fortress of Solitude, quilting, thinking about quilting, and picking raspberries in the yard. (There was also tiramisu on Thursday and cake on Friday at the office, to celebrate my birthday and my coworker's birthday - even on vacation, I can't seem to stay away.)

Of course those five days felt like an eternity when I finally rolled out of bed on Wednesday morning (almost afternoon), but by Saturday night I was cursing the speed at which they had passed. I was tempted to call in sick this morning, but guilt prevented me. Guilt and the certainty that my coworkers would know that I wasn't sick, I was just lazy.

I have one quilt-top that is waiting for a border and backing fabric - it's a new pattern for me, in a new palette. I'm thinking of calling it something ridiculous like "Spicy Salsa" or "Caliente Cubes." (Yeah, I need some help.)



I also made another quilt-top that has yet to be photographed. After I made it, I realized that I had used up part of the fabric I intended for the back, leaving me unable to baste the sucker together and quilt it. I spent most of Sunday trying to figure out how I could fix the problem.

Luckily, I woke up this morning with an idea, the kind of idea that makes you want to leave work at lunch and not come back for the rest of the day. The same guilt that forced me to go to work in the morning compelled me to return after lunch, sadly, but it made the afternoon go by pretty quickly.

Long story short, I have pieced a wicked back for the quilt, so it's practically reversable. Tomorrow I will cut out the batting, baste it together, and start stippling. Wooo!

Okay, so you know I'm alive, I've accounted for my whereabouts, and now I'm headed to bed. Perhaps I'll wake tomorrow with another idea that makes me want to play hooky ^_^

3 comments:

  1. That quilt is gorgeous! (And happy belated b-day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for the belated b-day wishes (Kara, I am holding you to this evening's promise of future-baking ^_^)!

    This quilt, once finished, may be the first item I attempt to sell online.

    ReplyDelete