Saturday, December 18, 2010

Home again, home again ... or, The post wherein Our Heroine reveals her book-nerdy side

Well, my pretties, after a long and exhausting trip home (turbulence at Calgary, diversion to Toronto from London, hours and hours of waiting to go to a hotel), I am safely ensconced in my parents' house in Woodstock. Yes, I find myself occasionally muttering, "Why did I want to leave the Yukon?" but that's just because the winter in Ontario sucks hardcore.

But there have been some pretty awesome things, too. I had pizza from a non-grocery-store/non-hotel place, Red Lobster for lunch yesterday, and the potential for sushi and Thai food in the near future. (I know, Kara, I know - but I can't help myself. I just can't.)

I've also been reading a lot. When I was at the airport in Vancouver, I was browsing through the fiction section...and not a single book appealed to me. No titles that made me laugh (like Michele Bardsley's stuff), or plots that seemed interesting enough to overlook the headless male torso that was the cover (like Hot to the Finish [which is not to say that I don't adore many of Erin McCarthy's books, just not the ones with covers like this]).

I've been reading a lot of the reviews over at Forever Young Adult lately (I came for the Sweet Valley High Drinking Game, and stayed for the witty banter and all-around-awesomeness). I decided to move away from the fiction section, over into the Teen/Young Adult section.

I picked up the eponymous first book in Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy. I have to tell you, I wasn't expecting too much. For starters, reading on a plane affects me much the same way as reading in a car - I get nauseated. But it didn't matter. I couldn't stop reading.

I read all the way to Calgary, pausing only during the crazy turbulence to clutch at my armrest and pray that I would survive so I could keep reading. I was finished the book before we got to Toronto (the first time, when we passed over it).

So the next morning, I went to the airport early (because I love going through security multiple times on one trip!), and once I cleared security I rushed into the bookstore to buy Catching Fire...only they didn't have any copies! They had Hunger Games and Mockingjay, but not the one I needed! I was frustrated! And crabby! Those are never a good combination for yours truly.

Luckily, before I could start smashing things around me, Hulk-style, my glare happened upon the eponymous first book in Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy, which had also received reviews over at FYA. So, book crisis averted, I snatched that puppy up and flew in to London with no problems.

Well, I was finished Leviathan by Thursday at lunch (taking into account the thirteen hours I was asleep), and I was facing the same crisis - what was I going to do?


Long story short, I bought Catching Fire and Behemoth at Chapters yesterday, and I finished Behemoth this morning. I am saving Catching Fire until tomorrow, and I know the opportunity to purchase Mockingjay will arise in the next couple of weeks (I might try to delay it until my return trip, so I can be occupied on the plane). But I am going to be sad and mopey for a while, because Goliath, the third Leviathan book, won't be out until next October! Bloohoohoo!


If you've stuck with me this far, thanks for reading! I haven't let me inner book-nerd out in a really long time ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment