Thursday, July 7, 2011

In Which Our Heroine Gets In Touch With Nature

Long time, no talk, internet.

I'll be honest with you, friends - it's probably a good thing I didn't blog anything last week. I was miserable. The frenzy of Canada Day preparations made me crazy. My trip in to Whitehorse last Wednesday/Thursday, which was supposed to be work-related yet relaxing was ... well, not relaxing.

I learned some important lessons about ordering food for next year's CD Festivities - mainly to stress the importance of packaging the food in such a way that it can fit in a cooler, for the love of Zeus, people, Faro is a four hour drive away! - had a great deal of stress, and had the day redeemed by the kindness of Louie and Bobbi at the KEBABery. You may never know how much that chicken shwarma meant to me ^_^

Today, I rode back into WH with H. I know, I know, three trips to WH in a four week period - I'm exceeding my limit. But my grocery situation was dire. I was out of almond milk.

...

I need my almond milk. Without it, there can be no breakfast smoothies. Without smoothies, there is no breakfast. Without breakfast, I become a monster.

So we drove in to have a meeting and do some grocery shopping. We stopped at Riverside Grocery, where I proceeded to go crazy buying an assortment of flours and seeds. I'm looking forward to experimental cooking with garbanzo bean flour and coconut flour. I'm getting ideas.

On the way back, we stopped at the Coal Mine for milkshakes. H's husband had gone out for a ride on his motorcycle, and we just happened to meet up there. We took our shakes down to the river and watched the Yukon float by as we filled each other in on what happened during the day. My trivia for the day? The Yukon River flows at a rate of 7m/hour.

After milkshakes, we headed on our way back. H decided we should stop at their friend's place out on the Magundy to see the horses. We had a long, bug-filled walk up the driveway (which makes me feel less guilty about forgetting to go the gym yesterday), and spent a very pleasant half-hour with the horses. I couldn't remember the last time I had been near a horse (I'm thinking it was back when Amy and I were friends, which would be about 17 years ago, which makes me feel very old, so I'm going to stop thinking about it), but these guys were quite calm and friendly and put me at ease. They were particularly pleased to see H, who provided them with bug-spray.

I think horses might have an even more soporific effect than cats, and I may have to go out there again.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to the gym now?? You didn't tell me that!

    Glad you had a great trip in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's more a theoretical thing - Glenda and I are going to be going together, but so far this week we've not been able to because of meetings and absences ^_^

    ReplyDelete