Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Better today...but the day's still young

After the Council meeting last night, I went home and crawled into bed. I was in bed by 10:30, and I was tired. I didn't anticipate that I would have any trouble falling asleep. I recited Desiderata a few times (I pretty much have the whole thing memorized, go me!), curled up with the cats behind my knees, and waited.

And waited.

The clock was ticking so loudly that it felt like it was ticking in my chest, like every tick of the second hand shook the bed with its force. I couldn't drown it out. By the time midnight rolled around, my cats had gotten energetic (and hungry, again) and were bouncing around and yowling. The clock was still ticking. I was nearly in tears.

Out of the bedroom went the cats! Into my ears went some foam earplugs! Desiderata recited twice more! Look out, Morpheus, I'm on my way!

I don't know what time I actually got to sleep, but it wasn't early enough. I woke this morning with bags under my eyes that were the size of cat-carriers. I cried because I had to get up and take a shower. I am so totally not a morning person.

No comments:

Post a Comment