Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stomach woes, and more Thinking Out Loud

I went to Ladies Night Out with Kara last night, and had a really great time...until my stupid crippling stomach problems meant that I had to go home. Which meant that Kara went home too, because she was my ride. Stupid stomach problems. I had too much sugar earlier in the day, I think. But at least there is no more hot chocolate mix in my house.

When I got home, it was Earth Hour - no lights or TV until 9:30. I lit some candles and got a fire going. (Well, going is a misnomer - it started, and then it fizzled, but I kept poking at it for two hours.) And then, in between bouts of stomach-related misery, I did some thinking.

I know, I know. I can hear you now. "Thinking? Oh, Erica, that is never a good idea for you - thinking, late at night, in the dark, with nothing to distract you!"

You're right, of course. I have a hard time shutting my thoughts off if I get started late in the evening. But I tried to make it a useful thinking period - I got out a journal, and wrote down notes and all.

The gist of it is this: I was too hasty in moving out of the Hotel. I wanted a phone, and I wanted the internet, and somehow I got in over my head in renting Hermann's place. My living expenses (not counting food, which would be about the same) have almost tripled. My computer is broken, so I am paying for internet I can't use. At this rate, I am going to be living hand to mouth for the entirety of my life in Faro, and that is not acceptable.

So, I am doing some research into moving back into the Hotel. I don't know if they allow monthly residents in the summer months - I was under the impression I had to be out of there by the end of April, but last night I met a woman who has been living there since January, and it sounded like she and her hubby would be there until June.

I want to know these things:
- can I rent monthly over the summer? If not, when could I start? (I can last the summer if I know I'm going back in, say, September)
- can I bring my own bed and couch in? (I want to sleep on a good bed)
- can I have my cats? (Crazy Bird Lady had her birds and dog, I think I should be allowed to have Rodney and Paku)
- can I get a phone/internet hookup in my room? (Sheila, the lady I met last night, was talking about the internet, but I never had access to any internet while I was there, which makes me super-peeved)

There may have been some other questions, but I can't think of them at the moment.

I'm at a Policy-making workshop all day today, and then the work-week "officially" starts again tomorrow. Busy, busy times.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should definitely call the hotel and ask all of those questions. And on karaoke night you can come and stay here. If they won't let you take your bed, it can live in our guest room!

    **My word verification was "trust". Interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe. I never get interesting word verifications ^_^

    I've said it before, and I will probably keep saying it until you guys are sick of hearing it, but I am so *glad* I emailed you when I got this job. It's so nice to know I'm not completely on my own here.

    ReplyDelete